Thursday, February 8, 2007

Adventures in cloth diaperland

With my first child I was un-educated in cloth diapering despite the fact my mother was a cloth diaper mom herself. I just knew disposables were the ONLY way to go and there was no way i was having a nasty wet bucket of poop soaking in the house.
Then I had my son, in an apartment with a laundry room two stories down. But, I became educated in the new improved world of cloth diapering and now that I am in a house with a washer and dryer of my very own... I dare to enter... cloth diaperland!!!! (insert magical music)
After much research, question asking, and browsing the internet for the best deal I ended up ordering two covers from nickisdiapers.com and some indian pre-folds (to go inside the covers) at http://www.nopins4baby.com/ All my things arrived today and I began the washing of the diapers. Apparently you have to wash them like 8 times or something crazy to make them "work."
I will update you as my journey continues.

Fun facts: Disposable diapers contain traces of Dioxin, an extremely toxic by-product of the paper-bleaching process. It is a carcinogenic chemical, listed by the EPA as the most toxic of all cancer-linked chemicals. It is banned in most countries, but not the U.S..1

Disposable diapers are the third largest single consumer item in landfills, and represent about 4% of solid waste. In a house with a child in diapers, disposables make up 50% of household waste. http://www.realdiaperassociation.org/diaperfacts.php

oh and one more... you don't need a yucky wet bucket!

For tons of info go to www.diaperpin.com


1 comment:

pangolin said...

I am at this moment eagerly awaiting the arrival of my cloth nappy covers (not actually mine, my daughters) It seems kind of wierd to be excited about that.
Anyway... hope all that washing works out.