Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Lullaby

When I brought my firstborn home I remember those first days spent in the glider nursing and gazing in wonderment over my precious daughter. I would sing just softly enough so that she could hear me. I sang the song that I remembered my own mother singing to me. I had a fear of singing in public, so even when my husband would get near the room I would stop. My almost silent lullaby was like a secret between her and I. I treasured this time with her, and often we would both drift off to sleep in the chair as she nursed and I whispered song to her.
Over the years my voice grew louder and my fear of singing dissolved. My daughter is the person who brought that out of me and together we now sing almost all day in whatever task we are doing. It doesn't matter to us who hears or how loud we are, or how off key we might be. Sometimes we even sing while walking down the grocery store aisle. Now I have a son too, and at nineteen months old he is an excited participant in our daily songs. It's as if my life has became a musical since the birth of my daughter, all started by one almost inaudible shaky voice.

More Lullaby

6 comments:

mandaroo63 said...

That was so sweet, I had to read it twice! It brought back some wonderful memories for me of those moments. Thanks for sharing it....

Elaine said...

Hey Heathir, you won the Mama Says Om contest for this entry! Email me at wannabehippieblog AT gmail.com with your mailing address so we can send out your free CD!

Bunny said...

Beautiful. And I can relate, I find the same thing has happened to me.

Ella+Felix Mama said...

Beautiful! I can relate too. I wish I could remember the song my grandfather used to sing, I only know one word of it and I think he made it up, so it's pretty much lost forever. Congrats on winning the contest for your story!

Ella+Felix Mama said...

My mom wanted me to tell you:
"I think we all sing to our babies, some of us more shyly than others, because they bring out the joy in us. My girls and I used to sing when they were growing up. Now they save it for their own little wonders."

Pixie Mama said...

Thank you, I feel like the singing really sets the tone for our household and it's something I treasure right now and hope it will carry on when my little ones move out and start there own families someday.