Friday, June 13, 2008

EVOO what the?

So, I am mostly a non-tv watcher and my house doesn't get a million channels. (I would prefer not get any but the cable company insist it cost the same for internet with or without the tv.) I don't get Food Network. Maybe I am out of the Rachael Ray loop but for this should I suffer when trying to find a good recipe. Should my family suffer when I force them to eat this dried out thing once called a zucchini?
I had a recipe swap with some friends a couple years back and after flipping through the book we had created together I saw a recipe for baked veggies. One in particular for Zucchini. Looking at the recipe pretty much everything was a spice except one I didn't recognize called EVOO. I figured it must be a spice as well so I spiced up the zucchini and stuck it in the oven. What I got was a very dried out, flavorful, but odd textured thing that my kids refused to eat. (oddly enough my children actually like zucchini.)
Today I decided to make it again, only this time I was going to google search EVOO and figure out where to buy such a spice. Well, for non-food network watchers like myself. It stands for Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Rachel Ray said it one day and apparently it's all the rage among the cooks to say EVOO instead of the longer version. I don't have anything against Rachel. She seems nice enough, I saw her live on a taping of the Tonight Show when we lived in LA. I'm sure she didn't mean to ruin my dinner.
Come to think of it, I hate acronyms in general. My husband used them a lot when we were first chatting online (yes folks, we met online) and it just made me crazy! I finally told him about my hatred of acronyms and now he uses them even more. Nice guy eh?
Anyway, back to the Zucchini problem. Cooking the new improved recipe as we speak. Baking in the oven. La la la... this is what we do while we wait. We shall see how the recipe ends up with my new knowledge.
Here is the recipe for those of you wondering, and everyone who could care less too.

Oven Roasted Zucchini
---------------------
Preheat oven to 400
cut your zucchini into inch thick rounds
mix in a bowl with Extra Virgin Olive Oil (that wasn't so bad to type out really)
sea salt, ground black pepper, rosemary, and garlic seasonings.
lay zucchini out on a baking sheet
bake, uncovered for 25-35 minutes
check often for your desired tenderness.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

So, what did the kids think?? I didn't know that EVOO was something so commonly used and I have a similar hatred for acronyms...they're like speaking a secret language! The recipe looks yummy but my hubby won't eat zucchini :(

Pixie Mama said...

well the kids didn't eat it. I overcooked it because I got distracted and forgot to set my timer. Try try again right?
Ted doesn't like zucchini either but he puts up with it because it's my FAVORITE!

Sweet Melissa said...

Any veggies baked like this are great! You can just play with your seasonings depending on what you are cooking. Seasoning them and wrapping them in foil and throwing them on the grill is a favorite in our house! I hope the kids like them better the 2nd time around!

Anonymous said...

Omg (sorry) I just Rachael Rays magazine yesterday and every recipe said EVOO! I kept reading figuring somewhere one of these recipes will say what it is. Frustrated I said to myself "What hell is EVOO?" Well I came into work today and decided to google EVOO. I found your article...very funny. Thank you, you're not alone out there.

Joann

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU!!!AFTER FINDING A RECIPE FOR WHAT LOOKED LIKE REALLY GOOD BAKED CHICKEN LEGS, I MADE MY LIST FOR INGRED. EVOO???? NEVER HEARD OF IT, SO FINALLY DECIDED TO GOOGLE IT. FOUND YOUR LETTER AND WAS SO HAPPY TO KNOW I HAVE THIS STUFF IN MY PANTRY. THANKS AGAIN

routey said...

I was at the doctors office looking at rachel Ray's Magazine. She had a recipe that sounded and looked great. It was for beef brisket with yorkshire pudding. I went by Publix and bought a beef brisket, but could not find EVOO in the seasoning dept. A helpful your worker came by and ask if I needed help. Well I asked if he could help me find the Evoo. Well both of us looked, but could not find it.
Got home and googled, "What is Evoo?", and found your blog. Oh how funny,
Got it right in my cupboard.