Friday, November 21, 2008

Felty Felt and the Funky Bunch

I have a new hobby! Hooray for new hobbies!!! You know, I just had so much spare time that I figured I should pick up something else to fill the hours with. Being a domestic goddess only takes about 24 hours out of your day so really you can see how I had an opening in my schedule.

My new obsession is FELTING!!! I am currently working on a top secret project. Since my kids can't read very much I will tell you. I am making a felted gnome family, some fairies, and eventually a tree house and lots of mushrooms and other felty magical things to go along with it.

This is a dangerous hobby. It involves a needle with barbs so sharp and tiny that some are microscopic. I was told I would bleed profusely if I touched them. I have to admit it scared me a little since our family now has an agreement that I am banned from using super glue (for very good reasons.)
I got a kit at our local fiber craft store and after procrastinating for a week I decided to dive in earlier this week. I made my first felted gnome yesterday and to my great surprise it was very easy and he came out rather fantastic. Way bigger than I had planned (about 7 inches instead of 3) but still he is a smooth looking fellow.
I suggest you catch the bug.... and head over to this ladies site who explains the entire thing via little videos.
I now want an alpaca of my very own but haven't convinced that dear husband of mine.
I guess I could always sheer the dog.

No comments: