Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Ooops, my hippy is showing

Years ago I tried to knit a horrible scarf with tiny needles. As you may have guessed, it didn't work out. Well, some mamas in my area are starting up a knitting group and promised to teach me a less painful way of knitting. I'm having a better time of it and so I have basic knitting skills.
Now comes the hippy part... I have been really craving a new purse/totebag. Now I can't buy anything new so I have searched every thrift shop in town with no luck. This led me to ebay and so far the ones I have found that I like are very expensive like this one I then found one with an eco-friendly message. It is a simple canvas tote that says "I'm not a plastic bag." However apparently a fancy designer made it and so it sold out and now I would have to pay about 50 bucks on ebay for something that was originally 5 bucks. The money goes to no worthy cause, it wasn't made by fair labor, and well, it's just not so eco-friendly anymore.
In my search for a similar bag at a decent price I stumbled upon this handmade bag and decided with my newly found knitting skills I could make my own bag. So last night I got to work cutting up old shopping bags. I ran out and went to the store to find more bags in the recycling bin at the front. So there I sat knitting away with my recycled plastic bags and realizing that I just may have reached the peek of hippyness. Wait.. nope.... I still shave my legs!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see pictures of this!