Saturday, October 13, 2007

Treasure Hunting

I cleaned out my purse a couple days ago. This is something that is only done a few times a year and since I switched to a smaller, non-diaper bag type of purse it was necessary to fit important things like keys. In the past when I have cleaned it out I find about 20 receipts from Target and this time I found none. Instead it was overflowing with paper wearing the name Goodwill, and St Vincent De Paul. Ted and I have been loyal to The Compact for awhile now and I have to share that it's really been a great thing for us.
Aside from the fact that we are helping keep things out of landfills, and saving money, we have discovered that it's really fun to shop now! I used to love going into Target and just browsing at all the little pretty things they had. Those displays only change seasonally though, or maybe monthly, but the thrift shop... oh my friend, it is updated DAILY!
I have been a little worried about Christmas for my kids so I decided to start shopping now since it may take me a little longer. Today I totally lucked out and found Tinker Toys, Lincoln Logs, Mr Potato Head, and a wooden train set for a whopping total of 16 bucks! Two of these were still in the original package never played with.
The coolest part for me is when something pops in my head that I would like, and it seems to magically appear in a thrift shop within a week or two. I go to many stores, and also garage sales and so for I have found what I need. Well, there is one exception...
The only dillema I am having is that while grocery shopping in a department store I happened to see the most beautiful faux-silk, chocolate brown drapes. Now their image dances around in my head as I look at the old, dusty, 70s style drapes that came with our house. I have been looking for over a month at every thrift shop, garage sale, craigslist post, and used ebay auction I can find with no luck. I keep telling myself I don't NEED them... but dang it I want them!

No comments: