Saturday, February 16, 2008

Dirty Jobs


We are composting for the first time and it has been a learning process for us. First, figuring out what to put in the compost and next figuring out what exactly to do with all of it.
Last weekend we got some very helpful info from our local community festival on how to compost properly and discovered we needed to turn and mix our compost bucket. Ewwww!

Our house came with a compost container called Earth Machine. We are very lucky to have it as it contains the mess and the smell and keeps the bugs out too.

After mixing and stirring I discovered our mix of leftover food and grass we have been putting in the bucket has already started turning to soil. We just started using it a couple months ago and we were pretty excited to see that it was already working.

I thought I would be grossed out but after a few stirs I started having fun. It's messy but it's just so cool to see how the food turns into nutrients that will eventually help our food grow.
The compost mix was very dry so we had to add water. The kids of course helped carry the heavy bucket so I wouldn't strain my back.

No comments: