Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Making friends with the worms




Yesterday we had a day of sun and it was almost 60 degrees outside. I put my boots on and got started on the garden!
I am really excited about this project and Zionna is interested in helping me this year. Last year she really didn't care for it. Maybe it has something to do with being able to use bigger garden tools now?
Anyway we are getting the soil ready and then I plan to have some plants starting in the greenhouse this weekend. We covered half the plot with old carpet from Ted's garage office to kill the weeds and make less work for us. I discovered that the soil is fantastic and full of worms. The kids were creeped out by the worms at first but after a talk they now know the worms are working hard to make sure our veggies have good soil to grow in.

Things I would like for the garden include:
fantastic garden stakes from uncommon goods. I think I will be getting some paint and scrap wood and making my own. I do love them though!

The other thing would be CHICKENS! I'm not sure when we will get them but we are allowed up to 3 chickens in our neighborhood. Maybe more if nobody complains. Fresh eggs, pest control, weeders, and an interesting pet. I'm still researching them to figure out everything I will need. If anyone has any tips or advice please contact me!

No comments: